Summer is winding down and autumn is right around the corner. Looking for a unique way to use those summer herbs to make the season last a bit longer? We have the perfect solution – Create your own sweetener with our Herb-infused simple syrup recipe!
Almost any culinary herb that is currently in your garden will work, and the combinations are absolutely endless.
There are so many ways to use these flavored sweeteners, but a few of our favorite uses for an herb-infused simple syrup include:
- Sweetener for iced tea, lemonade, and coffee
- Add-in to any cocktail or mocktail (e.g. The Ultimate Mojito)
- Drizzled topping over yogurt or ice cream
- A substitute in any recipe that calls for water
Here are our favorite herbs to add (especially for the uses above):
The process is so simple! We suggest making this recipe in smaller amounts rather than in bulk to sustain ultimate freshness. The following recipe will make about 2 cups of our herb-infused simple syrup.
Herb-infused Simple Syrup Recipe
- Bring water and sugar to a slow boil. Stir to make sure the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn off heat and add the herbs. Gently stir in the herbs, and ‘bruise’ them by crushing them against the side of the pan with the back of a spoon.
- Allow the mixture to cool well, leaving the herbs in the water for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer, toss out the herbs and pour into a clean, lidded jar.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 30 days. Use generously.
What is your favorite way to use our herb-infused simple syrup?